Saturday, May 17, 2008

Developing Understanding (posted by Dan)

1 Peter 3:7 "You husbands in the same way, live with your wives in an understanding way"


I thought I knew how much my wife does for our family. She spends her days nurturing and investing in our children. This weekend I've gained a fuller understanding (and appreciation) of my wife and her value to our home, however. She is enjoying her first weekend away from the kids. That means I have two in diapers to myself. Alone. For 48 hours. By myself.

I'm understanding that her job is not glamorous. Children get dirty . . . a lot. (On that note, don't feed oreos to babies) It seems like half my time has been spent cleaning various parts of our kids or picking up their messes. They demand lots of energy and patience. I've known that, but I'm seeing how it compounds throughout the day.

Still, I've enjoyed this time with my kids. I think that is a testimony to the mothering they receive all week while I'm at work. A friend who substitute teaches recently told me that he can always tell how good or bad the regular teacher is by the the atmosphere and discipline of the classes he fills in for. I'm seeing that my kids have a great mom.