I really didn't think I would be enjoying homeschooling as much as I am! In fact, we all are enjoying it very much. My favorite times are sitting down with Logan in the morning while the baby is napping and Macy is either playing, at school or sitting with us. We read bible stories and journal or color pictures related to the story and can take as long as we want! He has his own journal now and can either color a picture or I help him write what he learned. We are very relaxed but also purposeful in getting done what needs to be done. We are using "Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons" and he is thriving with it. We do Abeka math and My Father's World curriculum for other fun stuff. I love how I can mix and match things to fit his needs and that we are learning together. It is amazing the things that I have learned already! My other favorite time is afternoons (during the baby's 2nd nap :-) when we sit ourselves down on the couch and read books together. Right now we are reading "Stuart Little" together. I love it cause I remember it as one of my favorite books when I was young.
I think that this year has strengthened my relationship with Logan. Anyone who knows Logan very well knows that his dad is #1 in his world. This year has helped us have something to do together and enjoy. He has a HUGE love for learning and all things schoolish so I hope that I can encourage that.
Most talk has been about Logan's school but we also do some with Macy too. She goes to preschool two days a week for mostly speech and physical therapy and seems to be doing great with it. At home we read books and learn letters and their sounds -which she is really good at! Her new thing is drawing kids that are so cute! She can right her "m" and her "a" for her name and we are working on the rest. I think she will be a joy to homeschool also.
All that to say that homeschool is working for us. This is not to say that it works for everyone. We are also not opposed to public school in the future. We are just plain having a good time (most days, of course) and felt like telling everybody! If someone would have told me 5 years ago that I would be a homeschooler I would have scoffed and said that I couldn't do it. Now I am so happy that I took the step and gave it a try!
Monday, January 17, 2011
It Works For Us
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment