Monday, August 30, 2010

In the Beginning...


This last year I have wrestled with what to do for school for our kids. Public? Private? Charter? Homeschool? I swear I developed an ulcer thinking about it. In the last few years we developed a desire to teach our kids at home but so often felt (um...feel) unable to handle it. We decided with God's grace we would try it out for Kindergarten. Here we are. I can't believe my first born is ready for school. For so long, it just seemed like forever away and something we didn't have to think too much about.

Today was Logan's first official day of Kindergarten at home! We tried to make it exciting...even though I am a little sad that there isn't a picture of him with a backpack on the front steps like so many of my friends on facebook! He started out by saying that he was so excited to learn everything! At the very beginning he said, "Mom, teach me to read today. I really want to read." I tried to explain that that is why we are learning letters, sounds and such so that he can read. He is actually really close and has picked up quite a bit this last year. He even read a short sentence on Starfall today- "Zac is a rat". So he really did read today!


We started a 10 day unit on Creation. He learned about how on the first day, God created the light and separated the light from the darkness and made the first day. We talked about the number one and reviewed his letters and sounds. He already knows his letters and sounds and so it was a good review and helped build some confidence! This week we are making a creation book (which I am sure will grace the blog sometime :-), write some letters, learn the hymn "My Father's World" (it comes in handy that we sing that song during family bible study!), and do some other fun projects. On day one I am excited and looking forward to this next year. One big thing that I am excited about with homeschool is all the time together as a family we will have. We want to do lots of learning together as a family. We are really hoping, above all academics, that this year will be a great character developing year for our son. We will keep you posted!

Coming soon...Macy's upcoming big adventure to preschool...

1 comments:

Miggs said...

Good Job, Mama! What a privilege Logan has learning about God's world from his number one fan:) I'm eager to hear about the ways God will be working in your family this year.